Crisis UK and Homeless Link Team Up With ‘Older Age Homelessness’ Prevention Session

Crisis UK and Homeless Link Team Up With ‘Older Age Homelessness’ Prevention Session – IGH WordPress
feantsa-1

Crisis UK and Homeless Link Team Up With ‘Older Age Homelessness’ Prevention Session

crisis-1

As part of Crisis‘ 50th anniversary, the organization is conducting a major consultation to gather evidence and opinions of UK residents and homelessness experts that will be used to inform policy change. The ‘Older Age Homelessness’ prevention session, delivered in collaboration with Homeless Link, is a segment of the consultation taking place in London on Monday, October 30, 2017 from 11:00 a.m. to 15:30 p.m.(BST). The session will aim to identify solutions to help prevent elderly people from experiencing homelessness and ensure that those who are rapidly rehoused. Crisis encourages individuals from policy and academic backgrounds in the homelessness sector to register and attend!

Find more information here.

Shelter Project Meets Opposition in Los Angeles

A City Council committee in Los Angeles raised concerns regarding the location of a 49-unit shelter, Lorena Plaza, proposed to be developed in the Boyle Heights neighborhood. The New York Times reports that opponents of the facility argue that an abandoned oil well within close proximity points to environmental hazards and that a nearby restaurant and shopping center may be a disturbance to its residents. The project is being supported by nonprofit organization A Community of Friends – who has built housing for over 2,000 people without accommodation across Los Angeles. “Nothing can happen without political support,” said Ruth Schwartz, the executive director of nonprofit homelessness advocacy group Shelter Partnership.

Read the article here.

crisis-2

Homelessness in Morocco

crisis-featured

I am text block. Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.Morocco’s High Commission for Planning (HCP) released data regarding the state of homelessness in Morocco from the 2014 population census. According to HuffPost Morocco, data indicated that there were about 7,226 people experiencing homelessness in that year. President of the Jood association, Hind Laidi, has raised concern about the need for more current data, suggesting that there is now an estimated tens of thousands of people living without accommodation. The HCP also provided information regarding the demographics of the homelessness population. The report indicated that the majority of this population are men (86.7%), while the remaining 13.3% are women.

Read the article here. (This article’s original text is in French)

Hamilton, Canada Will Offer Tiny Homes to Those Experiencing Homelessness

Hamilton, a city in Ontario, Canada, is moving forward with a plan to develop ‘tiny homes’ for people lacking accommodation. The plan draws inspiration from similar plans implemented in other cities, such as Detroit, Michigan; New York, New York; and Madison, Wisconsin. Matthew Green, Councilor for Ward 3 in the lower city, stated that with people relying on tents placed in old industrial areas of the city for shelter, there is an urgent need for solutions. Advocates for tiny homes argue that these smaller housing units are proven to be more cost effective overall than high-rise facilities.

Read the article here.

crisis-4

Over 20,000 People Receive Units in Jharkhand, India

crisis-5

Earlier this week, Chief Minister of Jharkland, Raghubar Das, announced the distribution of just over 20,000 housing units to people experiencing homelessness across the state through the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) initiative. India Today stated that the government will equip the units with electricity, bathrooms, water, and gas cylinders and ovens. Das also mentioned that the state has set a goal to end homelessness in Jharkhand by the year 2020. Kashmir Life reported on the state of homelessness in India in recent years in an article this week.

Read the article here.

If there is news you would like to include in a future update, contact us here: http://www.ighomelessness.org/contact